On a mobile device? Click the little down arrow right of HOME to find all the great resources like event calendars and kids eat free! contact arizonafamilies@hotmail.com

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Mystic India at the Fox ~ Do You Love Bollywood?

What:Mystic India A Bollywood dance spectacular, replete with sixty-five brilliant dancers, one-thousand opulent costumes, and one unforgettable show! Be transported on a celebratory journey through the Bollywood film industry and Indian culture with a stunning visual display that fuses dance, music, theater, and spectacular special effects.Buy tickets here*www.foxtucson.comorhttp://on.fb.me/SWhPxP520-547-3040
When:
Saturday, October 20, 2012, 7:30 pm
Where:Fox TucsonTheatre
17 West Congress


I have had a love affair with Bollywood for almost 14 years.  I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about it in the States before I moved abroad in 1998.  I was living in Spain and I went on a tour of Greece with a friend of mine.  So what does Greece have to do with Bollywood? 

Well, on our last night in Athens we had the television on while we were getting ready for an evening in the Acropolis area.   MTV India  was one of the channels.  I was instantly captivated by the music videos and the grandeur of it all.  These were pieces of huge musicals and I almost wanted to stay at the hotel instead of spending our last evening in Athens! I still remember a contest they were running called "Kickass with Vikass" lol. Check out the MTV India Facebook page HERE.


Once I returned back to the US- I tried to get MTV India on my Direct Tv and it was a bit pricey for someone just out of college.  I would go to every Indian dance performance I could~ often classical performances at Govinda's. A few years later, I took a lovely Bollywood danceclass, one of the first taught by a wonderful teacher here in Tucson, Kiran!  We danced to the above song from Guru

Bollywood is huge and makes approximately1,000 movies per year.  I Love the DANCING, the voices, the imagery, the drama-everything! I do not speak any Hindi- well I have learned how to say thank you~ Shukria.  However, many Bollywood movies have some English or "Hinglish" mixed in and of course there are always subtitles :)


My favorite Bollywood film is Devdas- see that trailer above. I enjoy more traditional clothing and scenery but of course there is  enormous variety. Check out a more current and popular song below. I am by no means an expert and I only see a few films each year- thanks to Netflix but I love the genre and the dancing!

 I cannot wait to see Mystic India tonight at the Fox!! My 6 year old son will be joining me- He loves the Pandora Bollywood stations I have :)

Do you like Bollywood?  What are some of your favorite songs or films?


1 comment:

We love hearing from our readers! If you are commenting for a giveaway, please leave your email or make sure we can access an email on your profile. Thanks!