On a mobile device? Click the little down arrow right of HOME to find all the great resources like event calendars and kids eat free! contact arizonafamilies@hotmail.com

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Maleficent Movie Review: Is the Movie Too Scary for Kids?



Is the Movie Maleficent Too Scary for Kids?

I will be bringing my 6 year-old twins to see it and here is why I decided that.


We arrived to see Maleficent the other night and found it was a much bigger deal than we had anticipated. I would say that 70% of the audience had awesome Maleficent head pieces on. Everyone has been so excited to see this movie!

I have to say that after seeing the previews so much recently, I didn’t think I would even go to see the movie. I assumed that it would be much like the recent renovations of other Fairy Tales, that it would be darker, scarier and gorier.  I think that the previews are scarier than the movie. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I would even bring my 6 year olds to see it. 

Don’t get me wrong, there is darkness in this movie and it is essentially nothing like the fairytale story line. It tells the background of Maleficent and how she became to be as we know her in the classic tale. However, there seems to be enough magic and sparkle, as well as plot, to justify the darkness.

You really have to go into this movie, looking to be entertained by the new story line. If you are busy comparing the whole time, you will not be very happy. I found that the story seemed a little disconnected at times. The early character development did not flow well, however, it is totally worth seeing. 

I think that its’ most satisfied fans will be 10-17 year old girls and young women. That being said, my husband and I really enjoyed seeing it. It will make a good family film for older kids. I definitely suggest parental guidance, as the rating implies. There are mature elements that can use explanation from an adult.

I would say that the bears in Brave are scarier than Maleficent. There is a scary dog scene, but if you tell the little ones ahead of time that he is a good guy, it may not bother them as much. I generally don’t let my kids watch Power Rangers unless it is the day time because it gives them nightmares. I will take them to see this one during the afternoon too. This movie is entertaining and makes for an excellent conversation. 

-Shanda






"Maleficent" explores the untold story of Disney’s most iconic villain from the classic “Sleeping Beauty" and the elements of her betrayal that ultimately turn her pure heart to stone. Driven by revenge and a fierce desire to protect the moors over which she presides, Maleficent cruelly places an irrevocable curse upon the human king’s newborn infant Aurora. As the child grows, Aurora is caught in the middle of the seething conflict between the forest kingdom she has grown to love and the human kingdom that holds her legacy. Maleficent realizes that Aurora may hold the key to peace in the land and is forced to take drastic actions that will change both worlds forever. 
The film stars Angelina Jolie as Maleficent, Sharlto Copley, Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple and Lesley Manville.
“Maleficent” is produced by Joe Roth and directed by Robert Stromberg, with Angelina Jolie, Michael Vieira, Don Hahn, Palak Patel, Matt Smith and Sarah Bradshaw serving as executive producers. Linda Woolverton wrote the screenplay. “Maleficent” opens in U.S. theaters on May 30, 2014.
I was given 2 tickets to preview Maleficent - Shanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers! If you are commenting for a giveaway, please leave your email or make sure we can access an email on your profile. Thanks!